Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile web site displaying pages to fit the browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I wrote the site using a desktop PC in .NET 4.0 VS2010 VB code. although the pages show up in a mobile phone for example you constantly; have to "pinch" the screen to adjust the size after pages refreshes to see it correctly.
Can some one give me specific code to figure out the browser size?
And then how to size the page. These pages don't contain a lot of information. this iste is a database site with no images.
Or at least find out how to make the page fit a smaller screen instead of 1024 x 768
Although I tried to make all the items on the page smaller I suspect the site.master file is keeping it big.
The site uses SQL server and Stored Procedures etc so I don't move it.

I know code behind the pages pretty well, but don't know style sheets or site.master well enough to adjust the page widths.

let me know which code to past here for you to examine.

DougP

You have a couple of options.
1. You can use adaptive CSS. However this concept can become complicated, but if you have the time to figure it out, it is a good option.
2. You can use a 3rd party framework, which we use for out site. We use jQuery mobile which will help you in many ways. If you already have been using jQuery code in your sites, the ramp up time will be minimized. Also, the code is optimized to work on multiple mobile devices and browsers.
3. You will have to do plenty of javascript to get screen sizes and do the adjusting. I would wave this option and to to #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back