Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile user of Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarron

MIS
Apr 3, 2000
US
I have several users who travel between our U.S. and U.K. sites. The two sites are currently not connected. Each user has a Windows NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 account at each location. The two locations utilize different naming conventions for their user accounts. For example, my U.S. account is snarron and my U.K. account is s_narron. The users need to be able to access both of their Email accounts at either location. They are running Windows 2000 Professional and Outlook 2000 and have seperate profiles for each location. The problem is that they cannot access the remote account without logging in over a phone line and changing their Domain Name and Exchange Server name. If they select work offline without changing this information they are not denied access to their offline accounts. All of their account names are local administrators to their laptops.

If they are POP3 accounts you can add both of them to a single profile in Outlook. If they are native Exchange accounts, you need to make the two sites part of the same organization. Then you would be able to add "open additional user mailbox" in Outlook settings. If this is not possible, create another user profile and have them login under the other name when they are at that location (i.e. UK profile login is s_narron & password, USA profile login is snarron & password.) They will still login in remotely over the phoneline unless you have them in the same organization with a connector specified between them...

Actually if you make them different sites in the same organization there are better ways to deal with this than having two seperate mailboxes...like making e-mail aliases for the two mail domains (if you have two mail domains.)

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back