Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mobile domain users unable to access mapped drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbroder

MIS
Apr 4, 2002
US
We are running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. Mobile users who have already cached domain credentials on their notebooks use a VPN to get to the network. This works. They can replicate their email (Lotus Notes) without a problem. However, when they try to access a previously mapped drive to a network file server share the Microsoft error dialog says they don't have permissions to the share because they are already logged on with that username. That makes no sense. However, if I disconnect the mapped drive and make it again while connected through the VPN, it works fine. One of my admins tried this same thing with his priviledged account. His experience was that he could get to the share, but could not see all the folders and the loose files in the root of the share.

Mark,

Thanks for responding.

Won't that script fail? The user will not have connectivity to the network containing the resources when the script runs. In any event, this doesn't answer the question as to why it doesn't work correctly.

They are all set to use DHCP to get the DNS. However, they have a host file to all the servers on our network. But you may be close to the answer. Unfortunately, our network address range is 192.168.1.0/24. Don't blame me, I inherited this mess. Sometime this year, we will revamp the scheme, but this could cause confusion from some locations. On the other hand, it doesn't explain why a locally logged in user has no problems.

I will try another test tomorrow to get the exact error messages.

Is DHCP providing the IP address for the VPN?

I would test without the hosts file and would verify that the VPN connection is in fact getting your DNS assigned properly. In my experience you need to edit the TCP/IP properties of the VPN connection to manually set the DNS.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back