Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile Device Recommendation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

macleod1021

Programmer
Mar 10, 2006
US
Hello,

There's no place (that I found) that is devoted to Windows Mobile...so I figured I'd try here :).

I'm looking for a recomendation for a decent windows mobile device that won't cost me both arms and 3 legs. Currently I have a Intermec 700c to develop with, but it's kinda bulky to haul around in my pocket.

I need it to be Windows Mobile 5 or higher. It needs to include (or have available) a USB cable.

I've checked out a few phones, but they all want me to buy a 1 or 2 year subscription (or pay 3-4 times more for the phone). I just need the pda.

Normally, I'd run down to the electronics store and shop around a bit, but apparently, the major retalers don't sell them anymore unless they're built into a phone :-/.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance.

im in ur stakz, overflowin ur heapz!

Not to sound rude/stupid but the MS mobile site shows every current Windows Mobile 6 pdda offered. I believe you can actually take any pda built in the past year and overwrite the (palm) OS. They sell the WM software so you could do a little searching if you want WM5 but the enhancements in 6 are pretty nice. I bought my mother the Palm T|X and If given some time I could probably have it run WM6 correctly. It might take some digging and some time but you could probably find a way to do it. Here's the current list of wm6 pda's: Personally I have the Samsung sch-i760. If you purchase it from let's just say EBay the pda functionality works just superbly. It doesn't have to have a cell plan to use the device plus if you're dapper enough you could research VOIP and make wifi calls without a plan. At least it is a suggestion. Let me know what you think. :)

Demon...thanks for the post. I re-read my original post and I see where the confusion is. I was actually looking for some honest feedback from developers on the various devices. I found a LOT of sites that had user reviews for a lot of devices, but nothing that was really showing developer viewpoints.

Since the original post, I did get some recommendations (not sure what happened to the response) and have purchased.

Again, thanks for the post.

im in ur stakz, overflowin ur heapz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back