Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMDF help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qman61832

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
We have a SCO Unix server that handles our customer database and recently it has been lagging. After speaking with the software vendor, we determined that the MMDF process is causing a lot of unnecessary activity on the system. My understanding is that the MMDF process handles mail for the server, however we do not use the mail feature of this server-is there a way to turn this off and prevent it from restarting when the system is rebooted?

You could edit /etc/rc2.d/P86mmdf and comment out the last line to prevent it starting up.

Then do a ps -ef | grep deliver and kill the relevant process ID.

Which process exactly is causing the problem, and how was it identified? Annihilannic.

We noticed a considerable slowdown in the system when printing, so I called the software vendor that supports our database. They were able to telnet in and determine what process was consuming a large amount of resources. After that, I was able to kill the process and it increased overall system performance.
However, being a Unix newbie, Im not sure how to comment out the autostart line - do I use a ";" in front of it? I think that is it, but Im not 100% sure...
/me starts looking for Unix training classes...LOL

Thanks for your help!

Use a # character. You'll notice when you edit it that it consists mostly of comments already. Annihilannic.

That seems to have helped...however I did notice while poking around that root has a LOT of email. (I hardly ever touch this machine...) It wont let me delete and discard the messages from the mail window...is there a directory where the messages are stored? If so, is it ok to go into that directory and delete the files?

Thanks again for all your help!

See this thread, and perhaps have a look at the technical article mentioned: thread58-448233 Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back