Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMC - Group Policy - Hide Server E: Drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

citrix98

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
US
The options in the user configuration, administrative templates, windows components, windows explorer (hide specified drives /prevent access to specified drives) are for the A, B, C and D drives. My D: is the cdrom and my E: drive is the application drive on my citrix server that I want to hide. Is there a way to hide the E: drive in the MMC Group Policy listed in this message? I still want users to be able to access their local drives (C: on 'Client'(V:), etc. so I cannot restrict all drives. Thanks.

Easist way is to edit system.adm from within ?:\Winnt\System32\GroupPolicy\Adm

Then apply this to either a new AD policy OR run gpedit.msc from your Citrix Server and hide the drives for everyone including you but create yourself shortcuts if you need access to them!

To work out what to hide, do the following:-

ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA

Convert the above binary to decimal (31) then do altert the file, I've include my entry for hiding U,V,W,X,Y,Z.

POLICY !!NoDrives
EXPLAIN !!NoDrives_Help
PART !!NoDrivesDropdown DROPDOWNLIST NOSORT REQUIRED
VALUENAME "NoDrives"
ITEMLIST
NAME !!ABOnly VALUE NUMERIC 3
NAME !!COnly VALUE NUMERIC 4
NAME !!DOnly VALUE NUMERIC 8
NAME !!ABConly VALUE NUMERIC 7
NAME !!ABCDOnly VALUE NUMERIC 15
NAME !!AllButUVWXYZ VALUE NUMERIC 66060288
NAME !!ALLDrives VALUE NUMERIC 67108863 DEFAULT
; low 26 bits on (1 bit per drive)
NAME !!RestNoDrives VALUE NUMERIC 0
END ITEMLIST
END PART
END POLICY

Add at the end of the document:-

[strings]
AllButUVWXYZ="Restrict U, V, W,X, Y, Z drives only"

And if you want to stop people viewing them, add them to the NoViewDrive in the next bit down!!!

Does this help any?

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back