Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMC connecting to a domain controller in another subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwets

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
NL
I have build a MMC to manage AD user and computers. I installed the admin pack on an XP PC. Everything is working fine but it connects to a domain controller in another site which makes it slow. I can change it back after it started to the local domain controller but it does not seem to save this setting when I close my MMC. It seems to default to Any Writable Domain Controller.
Any ideas

How many domains do you have? The mmc will open AD Users and Computers on the DC for the domain in which your XP PC is registered. If it is a sub-domain on a different subnet, this may explain the situation. Also check the IP settings on the client to make sure nothing is pointing to the wrong subnet.

Lido
Development & Reporting
UK

the mmc consoles will attempt to connect to the PDCE automagically unless it times out. is the dc they are connecting to teh pdc?

either way, just right clikc in there and say change domain controller

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back