Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mm4.0 and email phone notifications issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2003
US
i have mm4.0 on a s3500 server - we have installed the mm client for outlook so users can receive an email notification. recently i got a call from the exchange manager saying that the phone server is routing these notifications to other exchange servers and not using the local exchange server. for example the notification will go to the exchange server in italy and come back to our local server here in the us. it only happens just a few times a day and it is random users. i have checked the settings for the phone server and i cant see anything obvious. is there some other place that i can check to make sure this server is ok. i am not that familiar with these kind of avaya servers - the exchange guy said that there is no attempt from the avaya server to send these notifications from the local exchange server - the exchange logs show nothing when this behavior occurs -
they are monitoring the servers from other countries and so far our avaya server had sent these phone notifications from several places.
thanks

Which mail store are you using, MSS or Exchange?

Chuck
RCT Technologies

we use the mss --
i couldnt figure out the issue so i just went ahead and turned off the notification for the users under 'class of service'- selected the class of service for the general users and check no the 'notify me allowed'

What do you have set in the MSS for the mail gateway? It sounds like you do not have one set in the MSS. If it was then it would have to use that to relay any outbound email.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Sounds like the the system is using DNS to resolve the MX record and that being the Italy server. Do you have an MX record for your local Exchange server or have it set to a lower weight?

The MM client for outlook is for retreiving the messages and listening to them on the computer. No client is needed to get notifications because they can go to any type of email service.

Log into the MAS and open a command window. Do several nslookups on the exchange server name that is configured in the notifications. Your DNS is probably rolling through a series of servers that support the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back