Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MM 5.2 - SMTP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronJL

Technical User
May 18, 2006
US
We've had a problem for a few days that was just caught yesterday.

When things were working great, it looked like this:

User.Name@voicemail.xxx.xxx sent 697 byts to Username@xxx.xxx

Around 12:00pm, we suddenly had this error:

[converse]: A non-existent sub Username@xxx.xxx.
generate_dsn(User.Name@voicemail.xxx.xxx)

Each attempt to send out an email notification created those two entries and then an administrative message in the mailbox saying the email notification attempt failed to send.

We're on the email relay (apparently) and everything else seem to be configured properly in our MSS.

Any ideas?

That sounds like a Notify Me message attempting to go to an external (external to MM) email address. You may be able to have a Notify Me message go to an email address of your email system, but your email system may deny any attempt to send to a different email domain that your email system is not responsible for (IE - yahoo.com, etc).

You are right in that it is a Notify Me email trying to go out from MM to our email system.
Our system has a public IP address that I was told was NOT on the allowed list for the emailrelay.xxx.xxx smtp server. It has been added, but it still doesn't work properly.

I'm going to try a reboot of the MSS/MAS just to see if that corrects the issue. I'm not convinced it is us.

I hope you don't mean you actually have a public IP assigned your MM system.

Also keep in mind that your email relay system, whatever it is, if it is doing a reverse DNS lookup of the sending email domain. That test may fail as the MM system is using a private email domain that probably isn't found by the reverse DNS lookups (especially if it is using public DNS servers to do this check). Your email relay may also be doing other checks like if the IP of the MM system is on a blacklist, etc.

texeric, turns out that although we did not realize it, we were using the MX record instead of the actual internal email relay box to send out our notifications.
The MX record got changed from an internal device to an external device and we weren't whitelisted for it.
We pointed back to the internal email relay box and that fixed it.

I know that sounds very technical (sarcasm) but it's the best way I know to describe how we fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back