Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MLX20L in QCC mode, buttons lock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vantom1100

Technical User
Aug 7, 2006
US
I have a customer with a 3 cabinet Merlin Legend, R7.0, V10.0, CKE4 Processor. The operator console, MLX20L in QCC mode, keeps getting locked up to where it is unusable other than to answer a call. The speaker phone, transfer, start, release, Menu, inspect buttons don't work.
Tried a different MLX20L which worked for a bit but then locked up as well. Moved the MLX20L from the 1st to the 5th port on the 1st card (408 MLX), still the stuck buttons. Swapped the 408MLX card in the first slot with the 408 MLX in the 2nd slot, still the stuck buttons.
Swapping MLX20L's clears up the problem for a short time but it always locks up.
The power supplys are 391C1.
Has anyone seen this problem? Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks exsmogger.

We actually had 2 replacement MLX20l's onsite and swapped between the original and the replacements and they all became locked up.
The original MLX20L has 2 DSS's connected as well but we tested with and without the DSS's with no success.

There is a test for the MLX phones. Also, have you checked the wiring and cords? anyone of those items could cause a similar problem. Here is an excerpt from the Legend R6.0 Maintenance & Troubleshooting document starting on page 88:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
MLX Telephone Tests
If the LEDs, ringer, buttons, switchhook, or display appear not to be working, try the steps below.
1. Pick up the handset.
2. When you hear dial tone, press *00 (the feature access code).
The telephone enters test mode. For some tests, this means the LEDs
turn on; for others, it means the phone starts ringing.
• This test connects a test tone to the B-channel and sends a
repeated ring burst to the telephone.
• On an MLX telephone with a DSS attached, all LEDs light and the
phone rings throughout the test.
• On an MLX display telephone, the display blanks out and is
replaced with a grid of small dots.
3. Press each line/feature button (two LEDs each).
The red and green LEDs should toggle on and off.
4. Press each fixed-feature button that has an LED (Feature, HFAI,
Mute, and Speaker).
Each LED should toggle on and off.

NOTE:
Mute and Speaker LEDs may not toggle consistently because they
are managed by the control unit and the telephone.

5. Press each fixed-feature button that does not have an LED
(Transfer, Conf, Drop, and Hold) and each dialpad button.
When you press each one of these buttons, the Message LED should
toggle on and off.
6. Press the fixed-feature buttons and the dialpad buttons in the order shown below to turn on all the LEDs.
a Volume down
b Volume up
c Transfer
d Conf
e Drop
f Hold
g Dial 123456789*0#

The LEDs should toggle on and off.

7. If the MLX telephone does not have a display, hang up and go to
Step 9; if it does, continue with the next step.
8. To test an MLX display, press each display button.
Each button name should display in the upper-left corner as described in Table 3–2.
9. If any of these tests fail, replace the MLX telephone.
10. Test the Multi-Function Module (MFM) if present.
a Connect a single-line telephone to the MFM.
b Pick up the handset on the single-line telephone.
c When you hear the system access or intercom dial tone, dial *09
from the single-line telephone.
This connects the diagnostic test tone to the B-channel.

d Dial 123456789*0#; wait for silence, and then quickly press the
Recall button to perform a switchhook flash. You should hear a confirmation tone (three beeps).
e Hang up.
You should hear a ring burst, and the Message LED should turn on.
f Dial #54 to turn off the Message LED and resume normal
operations.
11. If these tests fail, replace the MFM.
------------------------------------------------------------------
You can download this and other documents for free from support.avaya.com.

....JIM....

I did check the wiring and cords. I ran the MLX20L directly from the 1st port on the 1st 408 MLX card where it was programmed but the console still locked up.

Syquest, I will try troubleshooting steps you have provided, Thanks.

I did check the wiring and cords. I ran the MLX20L directly from the 1st port on the 1st 408 MLX card where it was programmed but the console still locked up.

I'm considering getting an MLX28D to see how that will work in place of the MLX20L.

Syquest, I will try the troubleshooting steps you have provided, Thanks.

Have you considered upgrading the processor to the Legend 7.0142 or to the Magix series...I'm trying to remember if the 7.10 was the release that had QCC bugs in it.

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and Avaya tech support was a little perplexed too, but figured it was something with the MLX20L and the DSS. So they just sent me replacements, and among them I got a combination that worked. In that case we never changed the 408GLM module, just MLX20Ls and DSSs. You are using the Avaya designated line cord for the DSS, correct? The cords for the DSS are different from the standard D8S line cord.

....JIM....

I have considered replacing the processor but an upgrade is a better idea. I'll look into that.

Correct, we are using the designated line cord for the DSS.

Good suggestions thanks all!

There are a few Legend expansion modules that cannot be carried over to the Merlin Magix so taking inventory and checking documentation will be well worth the while.

For example....ATL (classic Merlin) modules & telephones are not supported by the Magix. If the Legend system has any such hardware, it will need to be replaced with ETR, MLX or 4400-series equipment.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

By upgrading to the last Legend release 7.0.142 you can keep all
cards & sets in your config...just make sure you backup the current translations and then do the convert..should be OK after
that...Or,,purchase another CKE4 or CKE5 processor and put the
upgrade on it....safe.

The customer bought a 4th MLX20L that has been working correctly for a full day now. It is very surprising to me that 3 different consoles exhibited the same behavior but the 4th does not(to this point).
Thanks for all the feedback!

That is very similar to the experience I had two years ago with a Legend R6.0. Avaya support said, that sometimes the DSS would cause some component in the MLX20L to blow. In my case I think I went through three MLX20Ls and one DSS. It appears to be a rare occurrence.

....JIM....

...still working. I guess the 4th time was the charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back