Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MLT on Passport 8600 / Baystack 450 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN40

Technical User
Sep 29, 2001
CA
I have a passport 8600 and 2 fiber links (sx gbics) running to an edge switch closet. 4 Baystack 450's in that closet, 2 sx gbics. I cannot seem to get the MLT set-up. I have defined the MLT group on the passport, set up tagging on the ports and verified they are set as trunk and not access. On the Baystack 450 end when I try to link the 2 fiber ports the only option I get is access? Am I missing something? I do have to define the MLT at both ends I think? I cant seem to find much info but would really like to double the bandwidth to that area of the building. Any help would be much appreciated

John

I have tagged and MLTed 100 meg fibers on a 450

MultiLink Trunk Configuration

Trunk Trunk Members STP Learning Trunk Mode Trunk Status
----- ------------------------------- ------------ --------------- ------------
1 [ / ][ / ][ / ][ / ] [ Normal ] Basic [ Disabled ]
2 [ /25 ][ /26 ][ / ][ / ] [ Normal ] Basic [ Enabled ]
3 [ / ][ / ][ / ][ / ] [ Normal ] Basic [ Disabled ]
4 [ / ][ / ][ / ][ / ] [ Normal ] Basic [ Disabled ]
5 [ / ][ / ][ / ][ / ] [ Normal ] Basic [ Disabled ]
6 [ / ][ / ][ / ][ / ] [ Normal ] Basic [ Disabled ]

it is trunk 2 as I started in copper ports 23 and 24

VLAN Configuration

Create VLAN: [ 1045 ] VLAN Type: [ Port-Based ]
Delete VLAN: [ ] Protocol Id (PID): [ None ]
VLAN Name: [ Meikle TLAN ] User-Defined PID: [ 0x0000 ]
Management VLAN: [ No ] VLAN State: [ Active ]

Port Membership
1-6 7-12 13-18 19-24 25-26
------ ------ ------ ------ ------

Unit #1 ------ ------ UUUUUU UUUU-- TT

25 and 26 would show as UU until Tagged
The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

VLAN Port Configuration

Port: [ 25 ]
Filter Tagged Frames: [ No ]
Filter Untagged Frames: [ No ]
Filter Unregistered Frames: [ No ]
Port Name: [ Port 25 ] PVID: [ 1 ]
Port Priority: [ 0 ]
Tagging: [ Tagged Trunk ]

The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

What are you connecting to on the other end? Wkstn/Server or switch? If switch what did you define on that end?

the other end is an accelar 1200 (on the 450 end I use a terminal emulator as during tagging I will lose conectivity, on the 1200 end I use the GUI) here is the CLI info in the 1200 but I use the GUI to set it up.

meikle1200/show/mlt# info

================================================================================
Mlt Info
================================================================================
PORT PORT VLAN
IFINDEX NAME TYPE MEMBERS IDS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Multilink Trunk to H trunk 1/5-1/6 1045 1075 1994

meikle1200/show/vlan/info# ports

Vlan Port
VLAN PORT ACTIVE STATIC NOT_ALLOW
ID MEMBER MEMBER MEMBER MEMBER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1045 1/5-1/6 1/5-1/6
1075 1/5-1/6 1/5-1/6
1962 1/1-1/2,1/4,1/8-1/16,8/2 1/1-1/2,1/4,1/8-1/16,8/2
1994 1/5-1/6 1/5-1/6

meikle1200/show/ports/info# vlans

Port Vlans
PORT DISCARD DISCARD DEFAULT VLAN
NUM TAGGING TAGFRAM UNTAGFRAM VLANID IDS
1/1 disable false false 1 1962
1/2 disable false false 1 1962
1/4 disable false false 1 1962
1/5 enable false false 1045 1045 1075 1994
1/6 enable false false 1045 1045 1075 1994
1/8 disable false false 1 1962
1/9 disable false false 1 1962
1/10 disable false false 1 1962
1/11 disable false false 1 1962
1/12 disable false false 1 1962
1/13 disable false false 1 1962
1/14 disable false false 1 1962
1/15 disable false false 1 1962
1/16 disable false false 1 1962
8/2 disable false false 1 1962

We are currently expirencing this problem my office. A suggestion that was giving to me that I have not tried was to turn off spanning tree on the MLT ports.
I wont have a chance till next week to try this but thought it might give you something to try.

Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
s-tomlin@mindspring.com

Yes definitly try it with spanning tree disabled. Since you are creating a trunk you will not want spanning tree to converge. If you allow it to remain on you will never get a "trunk" one and/or more of the ports will alwasys be blocking.

Actually Nortel has no trouble with spanning tree as they trunk first and do Spanning tree on the Logical trunk, not the indvidual wires.

the only time spanning tree will get you is if you use more than one seperate path between two devices The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

Actulaay I faced the same problem but in a different collection, I have Passport 8600 with 2 GIBIC 24 sx modules I tried to connect a compaq server with 2 GB NIC (multihomed) I teamed the two NICs the teaming goes OK, but when am try to trunk the two NIC at the passpot, I cannot ping the server from any where, when I disabling the trunck to be access the teaming is OK but some of workstation can ping the sever but others not. CAN i find a help on this

elassad

#
# MLT CONFIGURATION
#

mlt 1 create
mlt 1 name "Test"
mlt 1 perform-tagging enable
mlt 1 add ports 1/1,2/1

#
# VLAN CONFIGURATION
#

vlan 1 add-mlt 1

To make a MLT you need to watch the following things:

Make sure STP is ENABLED on the MLT

Make sure the MLT ports are in STG 1 (the 450 doesn't understand STG only STG 1)

Make sure the ports within the MLT on both ends are:

Autonegotiation OR fixed (prefer fixed especially with old 450 hardware look at the release notes)
Have the same native vlan ID (PVID): start with vlan 1 on both sides, make the MLT, tagge the MLT and
then put more Vlans in the MLT.

Check if all things are put ride in the configuration:
show config (only things you add)
show config verbose (the hole config, also default values)
Forget the GUI, use the CLI (if you only want to use the GUI, make sure its the same version as your PP8600 and 450 software !!!)

Save and boot the systems on both ends.

It should work !!!

I am trying to set up a basic VLAN on a stack of 7 450T/24's. I have a SX module in switch 6/25 & 7/25 and they will be connecting to a passport 8600 with 8 SX ports. I want the entire stack to work off one VLAN (111.0) but I want to split up the #7 switch to allow me to use ports 7/1-7/12 on a second VLAN (112.0)that will go to the 8600 via the 7/25 module, while the main 111.0 VLAN goes up to the 8600 on 6/25. The 8600 already has a VLAN setup on 1/1 seeing the 111.0 but I need to get the 112.0 subnet to see the 1/2 port. Confusing enough? Can you give me an example of how this is done. Thanks millions

multiLink trunk the fiber ports.

you need to tag the ports that connect the 450 and the 8600, On the 450 you set every copper port to Vlan 1101 except 7/1 to 7/12 set them up on VLAN 1121 set both fiber ports to BOTH Vlans.

Now on a 450 you have to set all the copper PVIDs to be the same as their VLans and set the multi linked Tagged fiber ports to PVID of 1.

Now you have one logical connecting port, so spanning tree is not confused, you have redundancy, and you have performance

jimpalmer@citlink.net The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

I have been running an Accelar based GB backbone campus (4 main site 3 to 5 miles apart encluding 14 buildings) for some time (Code ver 1.3.6 to start). I have always been told by my Nortel engineers to set my MLT trunks at the Accelars to "access" not Trunk.

Per their comments the 450 switch stacks can MLT to the Accelars, but, their type of trunking is not the same as the Accelars and Passports version. If I were to trunk between two Accelars I would set the MLT on the Accelar to Trunk.

Another note. Having identified a VLan for the port on the Accelar (Vlan-1 or Area-2, etc..), I have never tagged the trunk ports on the 450 side. If I had a matching Vlan within the 450, I only tag the Vlan ports where devices on that Vlan are attached.

I am not sure any of this will help, but, I hope it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back