Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML530 w/ Smart Array 3200

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillid2

Technical User
Aug 20, 2006
US
I just got a used ML530 with a Smart Array 3200 SCSI controller. Bought a Seagate ST336704LCV that seems to connect to the backplane - the lights cycle that is. But at boot, the controller reports nothing is connected.

Using the SmartStart CD and the array configuration utility, it also reports no drives found.

The drive jumpers are set to the default, ID 0, and I placed the drive in thie only cage in the server, at the A0 slot. Moving it around does not make a difference. I do not think I need to do anything with a terminator.

I am missing 3 drive blanks and they are on order. I would not think the controller needs the blanks to see the drive

Any clues except that I do not know exactly what I am doing?

Is the drive cage definitely connected to the 3200 RAID controller?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Yes, I can see it is connected althought I cannot verify the connection is good. I took the 3200 card out, connected the cable to the on-board SCSI controller on the motherboard, and I get a failed drive error. Sounds like the hard disk came DOA.

FYI, I got 4-18GB drives and everything works fine. Disk was DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back