Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML530 Keyboard and mouse non-responsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillid2

Technical User
Aug 20, 2006
US
I recently added a second SCSI cage to the Smart Array 3200 RAID controller. For some reason, after I get the F1 or F10 promt and hit either of these keys, either the Smart Start CD or the partition utilties start up but both the mouse and keyboard are non-responsive so I cannot run any of the Smart Start programs. I tried another keyboard, no luck. I tried using just a keyboard, no luck. Just a mouse, no luck. With no mouse, Smart Start reports it did not detect a mouse and needs one. When connected, mouse is non-responsive. With no keyboard, I cannot selelct F1 or F10. Keyboard seems to light up during POST and I can select F1 or F10 so I think the keyboard is fine. Baffling. Anyone heard of something similar?

My only option is to clear the BIOS settings and start all over. I am hoping I do not lose my RAID settings.

Are you running the latest firmware on both your server and RAID controller? It's doubtful that you will loose your RAID configuration as the config is stored on both the RAID controller and the disks - the theory being that if your RAID controller failed, a new controller could be added and the config from the disks would be used.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Yes, I have the latest firmware on the server and I do not think the 3200 card was upgradeable. I am picking up a new server tomorrow so I should be able to get the 4-18GB drives up and running.

I tried removing all of the cards, having just hte motherboard, placing the SCSI cages on the on-board controller, and I still get a non-responsive keyboard and mouse. I suspect my motherboard's I/O circuits are bad. Funny thing is, after POST, and I get the keyboard lights upon boot, I can hit F1 or F10 but the keyboard dies after that. Seems like a driver issue but Smart Start should be using a simple driver for the keyboard and mouse. Very strange.

Yes I would agree, something strange with the internal gizmo's on the server.

Providing your nre/replacement server is the same, you should be able to just lift your RAID card and disks out into the new chassis without any config changes.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

New server has a 5300 card but the 3200 card worked. I was able to save the data, cleaned up the array and started all over with a fresh install.

I hope that Micro$oft will allow my to re-activate the 2003 SBS software. I suspect I'll be on the phone with them to figure out how to get it re-activated.

Micro$oft was not too bad. The automated system said the software was already activated, had to wait about 5 minutes for a human and she got me activated.

That did not come out right. I meant the server got activated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back