Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370T01 and Windows 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtwell99

Technical User
Aug 7, 2001
GB
Having a problem with an old dual processor ML370 where only one processor is visible in windows 2003. Both processors initialize during POST so I presume they are ok. I have tried updating the HAL but only get an option for standard pc. Server details as follows:

ML370T01
Bios P17 12-18-2002 (updated after windows installed)
2 x P3 EB 733Mhz Processors (Family 6, Model 8, Stepping 3)
Windows 2003 R2 SP2
2GB Ram

I have checked th bios and the operating system setting is set to Other, not sure if this has anything to do with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

The HAL would certainly need to be changed when you go from One cpu to two. From memory there is more than one option (atleast three or more) - another way I have done it is to copy the HAL from another dual CPU server which is already configured correctly - copy the HAL to your server and away you go - two processors. Just have to be careful that the servers are same\similar as the HAL might be different otherwise. Hell someone might even send you the right HAL that you need.
If you installed Windows with the CPU already in place, then its not going tobe the HAL at fault and I would check that the power module for the CPU is in place - each CPU has one located right next to it, I have seen techo's add the CPU but forget to add the power module which is required on hte old Compaq servers - I guess the techos were used to clones where you don't need to add anything when adding CPU's.

Good luck,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back