Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370 Set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

skurfa

Technical User
Feb 9, 2007
US
I recently set up Win2000 on a DL580 with now problems, the ml370 is giving me fits however.
I cannot get it to boot from an ISO CD including smartstart. I have system erase floppy and have done that (many times) but if there is a cd in the drive it boots to something called caldera dr-dos, if i try to run the setup.exe from the win2000 disk while running in dr-dos, i get the message "this program cannot run in dos mode" if i boot with no cd or no floppy inserted it attempts to do a network boot, why does the sytem erase not remove the PXE and stop network boot attempts? I also have array configuration utility and 3rd party boot cd's but I seem to have two choices, no cd and she tries to boot from network then just stops or insert cd and boot to dr-dos, which does not allow me to do anything useful. I am missing something here.....
Thanks, Cole

What version of smartstart are you using to try and boot from?

Have you gone into bios and checked to see what OS it is set for?

What CD are you booting from when you get the Caldera DR-DOS error?

You should be using SmartStart v5.5 with the ML370 if memory serves. The PXE boot will always appear when there is no bootable media or operating system present so don't worry about that (this seems to be standard across servers & workstations now).

Does your SmartStart CD work on another server (did it work ok on the ML580)? And again if memory serves, you cannot run SETUP.EXE from DOS mode, you have to run WINNT.EXE which is located somewhere under the I386 directory on the W2K CD. Failing that, try using the W2K bootdisks as per the TID below:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

What version of smartstart are you using to try and boot from?
Smartstart 7.x

Have you gone into bios and checked to see what OS it is set for?
No f-key option to enter BIOS, after erase however it asks which OS to set for, its set for w2k,

What CD are you booting from when you get the Caldera DR-DOS error?
The smartstart cd itself and any other boot disk I d/l from hp including a system configuration utility and an array configuration utility. Its not technically an "error" it loads dr-dos correctly but it won't let me run any other programs from within dr-dos like the w2k setup.

newsflash: I have managed to get it to boot from the w2k disc, but while loading files it errors and stops on "File \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7"
Its still progress though :)

Thanks for your response

I can boot from the w2k cd or from the diskettes created per thelad's suggestion (thank you) but once setup loads all it's files it tells me setup cannot find a fixed disk and shuts down. I d/l SmartStart5.5, same issue as 7.x it boots into dr-dos, once it loads dr-dos from the cd, i can romove and insert any other cd and read them, but any programs on them "cannot run in dos mode" The ONLY program i have been able to run under dr-dos is fdisk, it recognizes all three drives (though not at the right size) and i can set a partition on them, but thats it.

Are you running any of the utilities from the SmartStart CD; like running the Array Configuration Utility? It is under Maintain Server

If you have done a system erase then I believe you need to go in and reconfigure the array before the server will recognize any disk.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your help. I have finally got the old girl running. Win2000 is loaded. I am still not sure whats up with the SmartStarts (7.7 and 5.5) I d/l from hp. I ended up buying an original copy of 5.1 on ebay ($10) and everything went exactly as it should.
Live, Love, Be, Believe......
Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back