Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370 G1 Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

musashi5150

Programmer
Oct 1, 2007
GB
Hi all, this is my first time here and I hope someone might be able to help me and my ML370 :)

We were getting along fine together until I upgraded her with a 2nd CPU (now has 2x Pentium3 1Ghz). She will quite happily run all day if nothing taxing is going on - but as soon as I hit 100% CPU usage on both processors she will shutdown within 10 seconds or so. No warning - just like the cable has been pulled from the wall. I have thermal sensors on both CPUs connected to LCD frontpanel (~28C idle and ~38C maxxed out).

Funny thing is that there was never a problem when running with only 1 processor. Replacing both VRMs didn't help. I suspected a PSU problem so I checked the voltages with a meter and they seem ok... 5v line is running a little high at 5.4v. But the voltages don't fluctuate when idle/busy.

Does anyone have any ideas? Now she has had a test of the goodstuff I don't think she wants to go back to only 1 CPU :)

Forgot to mention... I turned OFF the thermal protection in the BIOS (with SmartStart 5.5) so it shouldn't be that.

Do you have any errors reported in the Event Viewer (assuming the OS is Windows)? Also, does Insight manager give you any clues?

If you have the Proliant Support Pack installed, you should be able to go to the following URL in a browser and check Insight Manager:

http://servernameoripaddress:2381

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Sorry, forgot to say I'm running Mandriva Linux 2007.1

Found the problem! CPU2's thermal paste between CPU & heatsink has dried up and crumbled away so pretty much no contact.

Problem solved :)

That thing should still run okay with at least a heatsink...what does the heat spreader look like on the proc?

Burt

Slightly blue in colour with the remains of a yellow, crumbled heatpad on it.

I've applied some new compound and replaced the heatsink. I'll see if it works when I get home from work.

You may want to run some sort of stress test on it, like BOINK! or something.

Burt

Thanks Burt - I used my usual test suite of gnuchess and a reasonably CPU intensive SDL thing I made :)

System is now running 100% and all temps look good :)

Oh---PIII 1GHz, with 256MB L2 and 133 MHz front side? I have a few IBM X330's with those, and they only have one of those little 1/4" squares that actually touch the heatsink...right?
Glad it's working.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back