Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370 G1 not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

crozdog

MIS
Jun 27, 2007
AU
Hi All,

I've trawled this forum & obtained some useful info, but am still unable to get a ML370G1 to work. No matter what I try, I cannot get anything to appear on the screen,ie no POST messages or array setup info appear on screen. The same result occurs when using the onboard VGA connector or an add in card.

I have downloaded smartstart 5.5 & burnt it to CD + created the 4 floppies for system setup. Neither boot, infact the floppy light never comes on & the CD light is on for around 10 seconds. I have swapped the motherboard out & have the same issue!

Only switch 3 (rack mount) of the config switch block is enabled. It is configured as follows:
2 x CPU's (not sure of speed)
2 x 256M PC133 DIMMS
2 x 128M PC133 DIMMS
2 x 36.4G Drives
4 x 18.2G drives
I'm using the onboard SCSI Controller & have what I believe is the add on card which makes it a "smart" controller. I also have a smart array 5300 controller I can use.

Cause I can't get any screen output, I can't advise you of what firmware versions are installed on any component.

This is really getting to me. All help greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

Do you get any beeping on power up? I take it that since you have swapped the motherboard, you have had the oppertunity to reseat items like processors and memory?

Your dipswitch config is correct for a standard rackmount.

You may have to start from the beginning: remove all PCI cards and try booting, if no success remove the 2nd processor and try, if no success swap the 2nd processor for the 1st processor and try, then use only one memory stick etc...

Check out the document link below for the ML370 G1 Service Guide:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

If you do as TheLad suggested, which I completely agree with, and you're still having problems, I would go as far as pulling it all, processors, processor memory modules, memory, all boards; the whole shootin' match. See if you get anything just trying to power it up, such as beeps, error messages, etc.

Good Luck.

Hi guys,

I tried all that & still no success! Infact when nothing is connected, there are not even any beeps.

Any suggestions?

With the cover open, boot the server and see if you have any ambur lights on the system board? If not, are you getting any green lights?

I would also try and find out what speed the CPU's are as they may not be the correct speed for the system

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Do the power supply fans come on? What about the health light?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back