Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370 G1 733Mhz to 1ghz cpu upgrade for 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barneye

MIS
Mar 5, 2002
US
Hello All!

I have a Proliant ML370 with a single 733mhz cpu. I will be upgrading to 2003 soon from NT and want to add a second cpu as part of the upgrade. I can get 2 1ghz cpu's with VRM's off ebay. Will my server support these? I see the specs state that the G1 went to 1Ghz. If so what changes need to be made?

I assume I can just install the cpu's and run Smart Start 5.50 select manual for the OS install. Install 2003 and add the HP 2003 support pack for that server.

Any other suggestions? Am I missing something?

The CPU's need to be Compaq specific or you need to get hold of the Compaq heatsinks. The ML370 (DL380 and others) Slot1 processors don't have fans attached to the heatsinks like you get with many desktop PC's. They have a large(ish) alluminium heatsink that fixes in place with a clip. You will need some thermal compound as well if you intend to attach your own heatsinks to the CPU's.

I went through this last year when I upgraded an ML370 and a DL380...

HTH

Andy

I am looking at 2 used Compaq Cpu's with heatsinks and VRM modules, from a working ML370. I would never try to make generic cpu's work in a Compaq sever........scary!

That should work a treat then :eek:)

Good luck

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back