Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML350 will no start

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashtest1000

Vendor
Jul 6, 2003
NZ
I have acquired an HP ML350 When I turn it on all I get is a very noise FAN heater with 3 green LEDs, if I plug a network in I get the network light coming up. It will not show anything on the display and the FAN just runs full speed.

Before I start pulling it apart has anyone experienced this before?

[cheers]

First of all, does the BIOS screen come up at all?

If it does, what does it show for installed SCSI disks or RAID controllers? Is there more than one HD physically in the box?

If there is only one, perhaps someone salvaged the other disks that were formally in a raid-5 setup - one disk will not boot - 2 is the minimum that can recover from the 3rd disk missing.

If the machine had sat around unplugged for a significantly long time, perhaps the NVRAM battery has completely discharged. Maybe just leaving it plugged on for several days will cure the problem. Perhaps the NVRAM battery is just plain bad, and replacing it will fix the problem.

Finally, check with HP. Maybe the box is still under an extended warranty.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Pull the cover and look for amber light(s) on the system board. They will lead you to any hardware issue(s).

Otherwise, please give a more detail description of what you're doing and what display/errors are visible.

I don't think the fan speed is an issue. Typically once you've installed the PSP those will become more managed and slow.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Amber lights are your first guess. This is the point where HP installed a system diagnostic tool via the LEDs. You should be able to find out if you have a hardware failure. If you do not get any screen it could be onboard video - perhaps an PCI card would let you see something, assuming it is the video.

- Wade Stoddard

Wade Stoddard
IT Manager
USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back