Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML350 replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpanther56

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
We are looking to replace our ML350 2x 2.8 Ghz with 1.5 Gig or RAM and are looking for suitable suggestions.

It will be running Windows 2003 with SQL 2005 and will preferably be rack mountable with RAID.

What good HP boxes can you recommend i'm looking for a proven reliable model if possible.

Thanks.

If you are happy with your existing ML350, why not upgrade to the latest ML350 G5 server. The Proliant range of servers are proven in themselves so you won't have any issues there. The server comes in either a tower or rack configuration depending on what you order. Check the specs out below:

If you are looking for a server with a smaller footprint (U) then try the DL range, I recommend servers in the DL300 range, in particular the DL380 G5:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

I agree with TheLad. If you're looking to make a change, you can configure the DL380 G5 to handle a pretty good load for the 2U footprint. However, it does not have the expansion capabilities of the ML350.

Cheers for the suggestions guys i'll take a look a the updated HP range as we have been happy with the last one. I was just checking that i wasn't missing any bargains out there, i hate finding a better offer once i've placed an order.

Cheers.

Just remember, cheap is not necessarily best, trust me I have use Dell servers ;)

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Hmmm yes we have a couple of Poweredge 2600s and have had a few issues with them, mostly due to HD faliure.

I happened to upgrade 3 ML series servers (2 x ML370, 1 x ML350) to DL380 G4's & now G5's and have never been happier.

The ML's were great in that (as aforementioned) there was a ton of room to expand/grow, however aside from RAM upgrades, we never needed that much room to grow. The DL's have been very reliable thusfar and work very very well. I, too, highly suggest going with the DL380's.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Having recently installed both latest ML350 and DL380's I must say I found the DL380 a lot easier to get in the rack still. Although both were a lot better than the old ProLiant 3000's et al. :)

I didn't like the way the cable management arm of the ML350 attaches at all.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back