Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML350 G4 - too loud to be placed under desk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2004
US
I'm looking to buy a really powerful dual CPU workstation to install VMware GSX server. I was thinking about the ML350 G4 tower, but I'm not sure if it would be too loud to be placed under my desk. The other alternative would be an HP xw8200 but it does not support Windows 2003.

Does anyone with a ML series tower know if it would be too loud for your ears if it were placed under your desk?

It may be too loud and I guess it would keep your feet nice and warm as well. Heat output and possible server overheating is something you would have to consider as well.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

definitely too loud on start up and when it gets too hot. (multispeed fans)

I would not recomend this as a workstation, it is a server.

Agree with the others. This definitely is an out-of-office server. It sounds like a 747 when booting up until the fan controllers cut in: then it sounds like a Lear Jet.

Regards: tf1

Thanks for your advice everyone. I decided to get the HP xw8200. Hopefully Windows releases XP x64 soon so I can take advantage of the 64-bit system.

You can get an eval copy of 64 bit now from the MS website... we tested it on the xw8200 but far too many apps had issues!

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back