Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML350-G3 RAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ehrouz

MIS
May 23, 2006
IR
Hi All,
I hope you are well.
I want to use DDR-RAM of Ml350-G4 on Ml350-G3, Can I use that?

Thanks & Regards,

You will have to check what type of DDR RAM you have in your G4 server. The G3 technical specs say that the memory in the G3 should be 184 pin PC2100 DDR ECC memory DIMMs.

See the link below, page 2-30 applies:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Who is General Failure and what is he doing on my computer?"

I have some memory of g4, but I don't have RAM of G3.

So, can I use pc2700 on G3 or not?

yours,

Well if you search the HP website (even the HP Store), it would appear not as they only indicate that the G3 is compatible with the PC2100 memory. But other searches I have done from Yahoo would indicate that you could possibly put the PC2700 memory in.

Like this website for example:

It says the 2Gb upgrade for the ML350 G3 is PC2700 memory?!?!

No it won't work. Early ML350G4s used PC2700 DDR modules whereas the ML350G3 used DDR PC2100. The G3 should be populated with pairs of identical memory to enable Interleaving to operatecorrectly. (It is OK for a single DIMM to be installed though.)

Whether the G3 would work with all PC2700 - maybe, but they definitely won't mix as the system will fail on POST.

Regards: tf1

It is not necessary to populate the DIMM slots with identical memory because if non identical memory is detected, memory interleaving will automatically be disabled.

At post bootup, the server will identify whether interleaving is enabled or disabled depending on the memory configuration. This is not an error message, this is an advisory message, the server should not fail POST. Further information can be gained from the RBSU main menu on the memory configuration.

Whilst it is not advised to mix memory of different types (eg PC2100 & PC2700), my experience has always been that the server will either error and not work with the higher memory in, or the memory will step down to the lower speed (I have seen this with the ML530 G1 & G2).

Let me be clear about what I said. All the modules need to be an identical type (not size), though for Interleaving (which is faster) to activate the modules must be installed in pairs where each pair is an identical size and all pairs are identical type.

So 2 x 512MB PC2100 and 2 x 1GB PC2100 modules will activate inteleaving and work perfectly.

3 x 512MB PC2100 and 1 x 1024MB PC2100 will work but without interleaving.

Any combination of PC2100 and PC2700 will NOT work.

Possibly, a set of PC2700 modules will work and run at 200MHz, but I have never tried that and cannot guarantee it will work. But my guess is that unmixed PC2700 would work.

I hope that clarifies what I meant to say.

I want to know that can I use Legend Memory with P/N: L1272Y35-RU1HDHDC with Hynix chip No : HY5DU12822CTP-043 on ML350-G3 or not? Does it work?

Thanks and regards,

Neither are on the tested for compatibility list so there is no way of knowing without testing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back