Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML350 cant see drives through onboard scsi port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purepest

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
GB
Can anyone help?

I have just put together a Proliant ML350 G4p.

I have put in the memory and it sees it ok. I also added a SCSI card that I am going to put a DAT72 into.

the problem is that when I start the smart start CD it only sees the SCSI card and cannot see the drives for me to be able to partition them

The drive cage is plugged into SCSI channel 1 on the motherboard

Please help

Firstly, are the drives being powered up during POST (ie do the LEDs flash and do you hear the drives physically powering up)?

Secondly, this server should have 2 x Ultra 320 SCSI controllers onboard. Does this get picked up during POST and are the drives detected here? Have you tried plugging the drive cage into the onboard onboard port?

I would also use SmartStart to run a check of the system to ensure there are no component failures as well.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Thanks for the answer

I have managed to build the server. I read on the HP website that you can have a non-array or an array ml350.

I have built the server out with 2 drives not setup as an array.

An interesting thing is that the lights are really dim on the drives so you can't really see much activity on them, but you can hear them.

I did use smartstart to look at it but it saw no array.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back