Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML115 & Hyper-V Disk Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandcg

Programmer
Apr 4, 2003
GB
Need some advice regarding best way to setup the disks on a home server setup.

I’m planning on getting a ML115 Quad Core Opteron G5 and 8Gb ram to go in it, then to run Windows Server 2008 as the host with Hyper-V and file server roles enabled. The guest VM’s can then access the shares made available by the host.

My original plan was to buy 4 1Tb drives and run them on a RAID 5 array, partition a small section of for the host OS and then put the VHD’s on the other partition along with the data shares.

My problem is I have read the may be issues with disk bottleneck if I do it this way. Can anybody give me any pointers?

I base my assumptions on my experience using VMWare Server, but I always want to have my host OS on a separate logical volume/disk set to the guests for exactly the point you make.

I found that when I used VMWare Server on a Windows 2003 Server host, I was getting disk bottlenecks on the host OS as well as the guests. When I put the guests on a separate logical volume, these issues disappeared.

I have never used Windows 2008 with Hyper-V but I would assume the same may apply?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Have a few sites running Hyper-V, all have seperate disks for the Host OS and i run a SAS RAID 5 with 3 or 4 disks for the guests. These guests do not have disk intensive apps so it all works very well. If i was in your situation i'd configure my disks in a RAID 10. This will make the best of what you have but would not be great for a production environment. Since it's for a home build you can accept some performance drag.

dandcg,
SATA drives have the highest rate of failure. Best practices, and HP's recommendation, is to run them in a RAID ADG (RAID 6). However that will kill performance on any disk intensive applications. RAID 1+0 with a hot spare will give you better performance, but lower available space. (SATA drives are designed as "cheap" storage.)

Seeing that the ML115 only has 4 available non-hot plug drive slots and only supports RAID 0/1/5, your options are somewhat limited, unless you buy another controller.

Right have decided to go down this route after some research... any views on this...

Raid 1 Set - 160Gb for the Host OS
Raid 1 Set - 250Gb for the Guest VHD's
Raid 5 Set (external controller) 3Tb for data.

Does anybody know whether the onboard controller in the ML115 can support two sets of raid 1?

Also am going to setup a fileserver vm with passthrough to the raid 5, so the host OS is minimum.

Dan

looks ok. Give it a go and see what it's like. You can always reconfigure the disks afterwards by exporting the VMs to a USB disk or something and the putting them back.

I've used ML 310s with the on board RAID and it has allowed me to set up 2 RAID 1s.

Judging disk setup is always harder with VMs as you just don't always know how much disk usage they require. assigning CPU and RAM is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back