Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML110 RAID Setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Hi,

I am trying to configure an ML110 as follows:

1 x 250GB Drive, standalone, OS Disk

2 X 1TB drives, RAID1, Data disk

When I enable the SATA mode to RAID and create a logical disk, that all works OK, but when I try to install the OS, the boot controller is seen as the 1TB array and I am not able to select the 250GB disk to use for the OS install.

This is the first time I've used the HP RAID utility so I'd appreciate any input!

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

How are your disks connected to the system? Are they all on the same controller? If they are on separate controllers, then you need to change the controller boot order. I think it's an F9 on bootup (maybe F10, I never remember those things without being able to see them).

If they are on the same controller I believe you need to have the single drive be Array A, logical drive 1.

Personally I wouldn't set up any volume without some level of resiliancy. If you lose your single boot drive the server is down until you rebuild it.

Are these all SATA drives? If so, you may see some sluggish performance, however, depending on the use/application you may be alright. Also SATA typically has a lower MTTF (mean time to failure) rate than say, SAS; meaning they fail more often.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hi Blister, thankyou for the detailed response.

The disks are on the same controller, yes. Your point about
making a separate array/logical drive makes perfect sense. Didn't think of that! I have now done that and I can see the 250GB disk.

Fair point about the boot volume. This isn't a critical server but I may mirror the two 1GB disks and then use gparted and carve out say a 200GB partition for Windows and then have the remaining 800GB for everything else.

They are all SATA disks yes, although disk activity will be fairly low to be honest.

Anyway, problem solved, so thanks for your help.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back