Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML-370 Failed to restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollymoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2008
GB
We use a Proliant ML-370 as our main domain/file server. Today the server was shut down in order to perform maintenance work on the server room, though not on the servers themselves.

When restarting the servers, the ML-370 booted up but when I attempted to logon I got a message (sorry can't remember exact text and haven't written it down) along the lines of you do not have permission to logon to local.... At this point though i wasn't trying to log onto local I was trying to logon to the network.

After a while the server stopped outputting to the monitor, if I forced the server to shutdown then restart it would still not output to the screen.

The memory modules in the server only briefly light up their LED's on initial startup then the LED's go off and stay off.

The LAN connection on the rear is showing network activity (LED flashing).

All other servers booted perfectly.

We have experienced 2 unexplained network outages in the last week.

Has anybody any ideas? I will try to answer what I can but am new to servers and have little apprpriate technical knowledge, apologies.

Thanks for any help you can be

Have you tried a different monitor? Do the hard drives spin up? Can you boot to a Smart Start or Firmware Update CD? What generation is the server?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back