Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mksysb restore to different number or size of disks. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmick

MIS
Nov 14, 2007
CA
I've got some LPARs that have both their rootvg and data vg's via the SAN through the VIO server.

We're looking to decommission the old SAN and present disks from the new SAN to the LPARs.

Is it possible via mksysb or other utils to backup and restore the data from the old to the new SAN disks?

IOS version = 1.4.1

LPAR OS = AIX 5.3 TL6

Thanks.

As a followup to this.

If my rootvg is made up of 4 x 7GB disks from the old SAN, can I present a single 30GB disks from the new SAN and mirror the rootvg to the new SAN disk?

Backup/restore is an option, but migratepv or mirrorvg/unmirrorvg is easier and involves less downtime.

> and mirror the rootvg to the new SAN disk?

As long as there are enough PPs on the LUN you are migrating to (and this is the case here)... YES! You Can!

HTH,

p5wizard

Would using alt_disk_install be a cleaner approach?

With alt_disk_install you need to reboot the LPAR, and it doesn't migrate data VGs, only rootvg.

With migratepv (or mirror unmirror), you can do it with no downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back