Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mksysb restore on different box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2001
US
Hi. I am about to go and do a disaster recovery at a remote site with Sungaurd. One of the servers I have to restore is an F50 running 4.2.1. However, Sunguard is telling me that I will have to do the restore on an H50 because they don't have any F50's. Can I do a restore on it with the mksysb from the F50? Will there be any glitches?

You should be fine. The F50 and H50 are incredibly close together that I imagine you shouldn't have any problems at all:

however, in all cases where you restore a mksysb from one machine to a different machine, instead of booting from the tape, boot from the installation media (of the same version that the mksysb), and instead of specifying an install, select the option for recovering. That will recover the mksysb as it would directly, but with the added benefit that it will search the installation media for any platform-specific drivers it may need.

Personally, I recommend doing this for any mksysb that is going to different hardware, even if the two machines are the same model.

Hmm. That will be a problem since we have lost the media for 4.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back