Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mkd to txt lisible

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETC_Bader

Programmer
Aug 31, 2017
TN
Hi,
I need to convert some mkd file into txt file, to recuperate data.
I have used those 2 commande but i don't have a lisible txt.

butil -recover TRANSACT.mkd TRANSACT.txt

and
butil -save TRANSACT.mkd TRANSACT.txt

c_j0jmcq.png

thinks for help.

MKD file don't store any field information. Do you have DDF files (FILE.DDF, FIELD.DDF, INDEX.DDF, etc)?
If so, you can create a Database Name and export the data through the Pervasive Control Center.
If you don't have DDFs and you know the record layout, you could create a database and then create a table pointing to the data file.

Mirtheil

Thinks for your answer but l haven't ddfs and i don't know the record layout.
I have tested the creation of new table pointing To the data file,but i haven't all data.
Thinks for help.

Can you contact the vendor of the application to see if they have DDFs or the record layout?
You might be able to use the Pervasive DDF Builder to build a table definition but you'll need to know at least some of the record layout.

Mirtheil

no i can't contact the vendor and i have only the mkd files.

Without the DDFs or a record layout, you won't be able to get a useful export.

What I would suggest is this:
1. Inside the application that is generating this data, add a record with easily recognizable data (for example, each field uses a specific letter and fills the field with that letter).
2. Open the table using the Pervasive DDF Builder and view the record. Because of the recognizable data, you should be able to create a fairly accurate record layout.
Once you've created the layout in the DDFs, you should be able to use ODBC to export the data to a useable format.

Mirtheil

hi,
i have question the programmer can change the name and the extension of ddf files ?
and if yes, how can i detect them in the poste of client.
and it's possible that the application made with magic tools can connect to database without ddf files ? because i have the application and it works.

No, the extension and file name of DDF files cannot be changed.
An application can use the Btrieve API to open data files without the DDFs. The application knows the record layout and can interpret the bytes returned by the PSQL engine.
That being said, if the application was created using the Magic programming environment, there is a way to generate DDFs. There should be an option in the Magic environment called DDF Maker from the Tools menu option in Magic.

Mirtheil

you know where can i download a Magic programming environment.

No, I do not know where you can download the Magic environment. I assumed since you mentioned it that you already had Magic.

If you don't know the record layout, can't get it, and can't try the suggestions I've given, you probably won't be able to get the data out in a readable format.

Mirtheil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back