Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixing MSIL/CIL and UWP

Status
Not open for further replies.

audaxviator

Programmer
Mar 19, 2018
GB
Windows 10S is probably going to be short-lived but right now it is frustrating my plans for world domination.

Windows 10S differs to Home/Pro because it imposes UWP on developers. You simply cannot run an old MSI on 10S, and newly built UWP applictions target native libraries instead of CIL/MSIL assemblies.

I read somewhere (lost the website) that UWP makes it possible to compile C# to native binary code - has anyone here verified this? Does it magically happen under certain conditions? Was it bad information?

My C# UWP builds continue to generate MSIL. The only change is that they now target the odd UWP binary instead of .NET assembly. Could my inability to build a C# binary stem from poking and marshalling (historic) Win32 native binaries via (last generation) .NET MSIL assemblies that have not been ported to UWP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back