Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixing manufacturers trying to extend wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgert

Technical User
Mar 3, 2005
GB
I have a mixed wireless/cable network in a house with thick concrete walls.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS 4 port router/WAP upstairs and a D-Link DWL-2100AP downstairs. My internet connection is wired into the Linksys upstairs.

I currently have a cable connecting the two and with this arrangement I get wireless coverage more or less throughout the house.

Given various info on the net about using WAPs are wireless extenders/repeaters, I can't see why if I disconnect the cable between the two I can't extend my network range completely wirelessly (giving me much more flexibility as I don't have to run the network cable between the two.

This clearly doesn't work - can anyone explain why? (I can see the network and I'm able to connect to the WAP downstairs and I see a strong signal, but I can't get an IP address from it).

Is there anything I can do to make it work? (Configuration/different equipment?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back