Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixing companding (A-law with Mu-law) on the same IPO

john3voltas

Technical User
Nov 12, 2013
PT
Hey there.
We have a customer with an A-law Server Edition R11.1.
Most extensions are Avaya 96x1 and J100's.
Now they would like to add a dozen Hikvision doorphones. Hikvision being Chinese AFAIK they said their doorphones are all Mu-law.
Question is, can I run an A-law SE with both A-law (Avaya) and Mu-law (Hikvision) extensions? Will they all be able to call each other on different companding?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

The Hikvision should support both A-Law and U-Law. There must be some kind of configuration tool.
Maybe browse to the IP address of Hikvision device, and see if there is a login.
Technically, the codec selected should match the country in which your using it.

A-Law is primarily used in Europe, and U-Law is primarily used in North America.

Hey there.
We have a customer with an A-law Server Edition R11.1.
Most extensions are Avaya 96x1 and J100's.
Now they would like to add a dozen Hikvision doorphones. Hikvision being Chinese AFAIK they said their doorphones are all Mu-law.
Question is, can I run an A-law SE with both A-law (Avaya) and Mu-law (Hikvision) extensions? Will they all be able to call each other on different companding?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Hello,
No problem with mixing the codecs.
I had some systems running alaw phones with ulaw SIP trunks, to avoid external transfer issues.
If you have "no audio" issue, just disable direct media "et voilà"

The Hikvision should support both A-Law and U-Law. There must be some kind of configuration tool.
Not sure. Customer still haven't bought the Hikvision terminals. They only checked with their local (Spain) Hikvision distributor. And they said their hardware only supports Mu-law.

Maybe browse to the IP address of Hikvision device, and see if there is a login.
No way of doing that because we still don't have those terminals because the customer still haven't bought them.

Technically, the codec selected should match the country in which your using it.
Yep, that was what 1st crossed my mind.
But then I thought that their products can be used with a separate system, not connected to the PBX. And maybe that's why they keep selling those here in Europe even though they might not support A-law.

I had some systems running alaw phones with ulaw SIP trunks, to avoid external transfer issues.
Hmm. That's mixing A-law terminals with Mu-law trunk lines.

In our scenario, we would be mixing A-law terminals with Mu-law terminals.
A-law terminals would make use of A-law trunk lines and Mu-law terminals would call and receive calls to/from A-law terminals.

If you have "no audio" issue, just disable direct media "et voilà"
Hmmm, interesting while I wouldn't worry much because it would only be a dozen terminals from a total of 100 extensions on a Primary Server Edition.
I think we would be covered, VCM-wise.

Not sure. Customer still haven't bought the Hikvision terminals. They only checked with their local (Spain) Hikvision distributor. And they said their hardware only supports Mu-law.

No way of doing that because we still don't have those terminals because the customer still haven't bought them.

Yep, that was what 1st crossed my mind.
But then I thought that their products can be used with a separate system, not connected to the PBX. And maybe that's why they keep selling those here in Europe even though they might not support A-law.
Do you happen to know the model number of the Hikvision terminals they plan to purchase?

Do you happen to know the model number of the Hikvision terminals they plan to purchase?
Wish I knew.
Our sales representative couldn't get that info when they told him their idea on buying those terminals.
I hope we can get more info next week.
TIA
Cheers

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back