Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixed Mode to Native Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeTuk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2009
GB
Hi guys,

Just getting a bit confused with all the articles out there.

Basically because I have inherited a network I am moving the email server to a managed environment and would ideally like to change to Exchange 2007 server. However to do this I know you need to be in 2003 native mode.

But...we have Server 2000 ADs in each of the smaller offices that need to stay for at least the next 6-9 months, does this stop me going to 2003 Native Mode as I suspect it does?

Thanks

Are the smaller office their own 2K domains? Or are they child domains of your 2003 forest? if they are child domains, you cannot go to Windows Server 2003 mode.

To enable the new domain-wide features All DC's need to be 2003 to go Native

To enable new forest-wide features, all domain controllers in the forest must be running Windows Server 2003
allowing the Forest Level to be raised as well.

Are you talking about Exchange modes or Windows domain functional levels?

For Exchange 2007 your Windows domain needs to be, at a minimum, Windows 2000 native for every domain you want to have Exchange objects in.

Other requirements are;

The schema master must be running 2003 SP1
In each site that you are going to install Exchange you require a DC that is a Global catalog that is running 2003 SP1

Exchange 2007 itself requires a 64 bit box running 2003 SP1

Exchange 2007 System Requirements

Paul
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Also do you already have Exchange 2003 in your environment??

If you do the Exchange org needs to be at the Native mode level and not mixed mode in order to introduce Exchange 2007..

Paul
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back