Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixed Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

pw3382

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
GB
How do i get a windows 2000 domain controller to talk to another windows 2000 domain controller? as i've had no luck in doing this

Be more specific. After one DC is up and running, you can simply use DCPROMO on another Windows 2000 server. Choose, join exisiting domain and be done with it.

If you want the new server to be a child domain, choose new domain in an already existing forest.

If these are two seperate domains, you will have to use a trust relationship for the two domains to talk to one another.

Please let us know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

your DNS setup needs to be working fine
If you are running DNS on the first DC,
then add the second DC to the same domain (using DCpromo), configure the second server to use the DNS server on the first server and you will be fine... ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

I have a Windows 2000 domain already up and running with no problems. I have another which is currently NT4.0. which i will replace with windows 2000. The NT4 domain is the one i want to be the master domain and the already win2k domain to be the child domain. I have DNS already running on the win2k domain. Will i need to have DNS server running on the domain i'm upgrading from NT4? Also i have an ISP supplied DNS server so how do i integrate this into the DNS server setup in the win2k dns server?

Just to throw something else into the mix, i need to know how i can integrate an NT4.0 domain into the new win2k domains?

Thanks for all your help in this matter, in advance.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back