Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIVB9 DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinos

Technical User
Nov 5, 2014
BW
Hi all.
There is this setup on MIVB8 and earlier were one can setup internal DHCP by giving the "DHCP IP Address Range a Name" such as ipphone.mitel.com then check mark the option "Client's class ID must match name".
This will result in the DHCP issuing IP addresses to Mitel devices only.
I don't see this setup option on MIVB9. Is it no longer supported and whats the work around?
Thank you.

Thanks for the response. Yes it has been moved o the server manager. My question still stands.

Server manager --> CONFIGURE dHCP SERVER--> OPTIONS --> VENDOR OPTION 125 (attached)
DHCP_sp0ip3.jpg

i dont believe that match class id is supported from MSL DHCP

from memory it was a way of having a MCD sit in an existing Vlan and only respond to voice devices
- thats not good practice anyway so better to move phones and MIVB into a voice vlan and then you dont need it

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Thank you all for your response. Billz66 is addressing what led me to this post. You talk of MSL DHCP how about MIVB9 on 3300 box is it no longer supported?

With the move to MiVB 9.0 and above the underlying system is now linux (MSL) so it is no longer vxworks. This is for physical boxes as well. i.e. MXeIII, CXII, AX and EX.

MiVB9 is now on MSL so you can only user server-manager to program DHCP.

With all said the question remains. Is it possible to make the MIVB9 dhcp server allocate IP addresses to Mitel IP phones only and reject PCs?

Nope

as i stated its no longer available and its bad practice to have the pabx in the same subnet as PC's
voice devices should be in their own vlan

why dont you turn off the MIVB DHCP and dish out Option 125 & 43 from whatever is giving it to the PC's
or turn off the PC DHCP and let the MIVB Do it

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Thank you all. Just wanted to know for sure the feature is no longer available.

They have this working on the 250, so adding the necessary code shouldn't be that hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back