Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MiVB 9.x to 9.xx upgrade procedure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH64Armament

Vendor
Sep 5, 2008
US
I've done many upgrades (maybe 500-600 going back to 3300 version 3.1) over the years, and the MiVB 9 platform upgrades are the most confusing and lack of clear instruction than I've ever dealt with.

The Help docs aren't clear in what it does after you click the "Activate Inactive" button.
The lack of documentation regarding the process has left me uneasy with the process.

This is what I do, I hope it helps someone.
In the Server-Manager, click Scheduler - and let the system do the "Latest Patch Rollup Release" once a month and is Download and install on Inactive.

Once the software is installed on the inactive, you can click "Activate inactive" and it will do the following:
1. Data Transfer to inactive - this copies the database to the inactive.

2. Swap to inactive - this simply changes the boot string to boot from what WAS the inactive and then the old active is now Inactive.

3. The system will then reboot - this will take 15 minutes or so.

4. Then the system will restore the database to the newly active software. It may reboot a couple of times.

Some things I suggest before clicking "Activate Inactive".
1. Export the form "All IP telephones". This will give you a comparison later.
2. Back-up the system - to the SFTP server or to your local desktop. Either way, you will have something to go to if something goes wrong.

After the upgrade do the following.
1. Log into the system and check the database. If you get a warning that something wasn't restored, go to maintenance and type the following command - "type *.dr.logfile_1" and review the output.
2. gather the All IP telephones form and compare that to what was before the upgrade.
3. set up reboots - Mitel SALES and MARKETING says that you NEVER have to reboot the system. I've been doing this for over 20 years now, and I will tell you that Mitel Support will almost always ask you when the system last rebooted. If it's been a while, they will tell you to do a backup and reboot the system... I set my systems to reboot once a month.
4. Do another backup. If you're backing up to an SFTP server, then this will make sure that your system will still work with that server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back