Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel vs. IPC evaluation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyTwoTimes

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2009
US
I'm in the middle of an evaluation of trading turrets, and I could use some insight from people who may have been through this before.

Currently we have an 8 turret IPC IQMX system on an Alliance 100. It was never intended to get much bigger than that, but times change. We're looking to expand to 28 and possibly as much as 40 turrets. IPC is currently being fed analog pairs. In order to do so we would need to bring in the Alliance 300, buy a bunch of very expensive cards, replace our PBX and spend a boat load of money.

Mitel's offering is appealing. For half the price they seem to deliver the IPC functionality, and more. The back room footprint is a pair of servers. They can accept SIP. They interface with ARDs and MRDs. Did I mention they were half the price?

My question, what am I missing about the Mitel system that IPC provides that my brokers are going to say they can't be without? What would be the reason that if I brought in the Mitel turret system that I would end up regretting it?

There are two reasons I'm still considering IPC: the brokers are used to it (which is fairly big) and it is an extremely solid system (which is also fairly big.)

I've been in trader voice for 12 years now and have worked for IPC as a tech and also on the trader and broker sides of the fence all in the energy sector. I am currently telecom director for an energy brokerage with IPC IQMX and slim line turrets on the alliance back room as well as an Etrali Mach 3 system and soon will also support a BT netrix system.

My first question would be which industry are you in? Financial? Energy? etc.

The next is do you support brokers, or traders. I ask because each industry uses their turrets in a very different manner. Financial tends to use there ARD's as ARD's and not HOOTS. Energy guys tend to use ARD's as Hoots, meaning they leave them up on the box all of the time. So you want to ask what happens with each system if there is a loss of power. For instance, my Etrali turrets drop ALL lines on the speakers if they lose power, IPC does not.
And brokers as a rule are ALOT harder on phones than traders, they make more calls etc.

My third question would be, what support is available for Mitel vs IPC in your city?

From a back room support standpoint, I prefer IPC although the Etrali system does have its merits. The BT system is TBD.

PM me and I can give more info for sure.

TommyTwoTimes - did you ever resolve the IPC/Mitel turret issue? I am in the same position and I'd be interested in knowing whcich direction you went with and why. I've used IPC for about 12 years and have been comfortable with the vendor and the platform, now we are looking at replacing our old alliance system. Our current PBX is Mitel.

we have three surplus Etrali Mach 3 turrets if anybody needs a few of these units

IPC vs. Mitel

- If your traders love the IPC turrets or have specific features/functions they are used to the IPC and money and system footprint are no object then I would lean toward IPC. Also if they are heavy speaker users I think the traditional turret systems like IPC often have an edge. The other advantage is capacity if your traders have hundreds of lines or speed dials.

- The merits of the Mitel turrets are that they are native to the existing Mitel platform you have, they have the core functionality of a trading turret and all of the functionality of a PBX; you eliminate the Q.SIG integration cost and issues; DR becomes a lot cheaper and easier; expansion is a lot cheaper and easier; branch offices or remote users are a lot cheaper and easier; system management is easier; practically all system support can all be done remotely

With IPC you have to look at the lifecycle cost and cost to add turrets later because the typical model is a large upfront discount and reversion to "add-on" pricing for later purchases. Their list prices can be staggering and add-on pricing is 15% on top of this. Also, the breakpoints to add system cards or God Forbid another cabinet can be nasy surprises if you have not figured it all out upfront.

Do a lot of research before buying IP Trade, try and find existing users (independant of IPT reference sites). We have customers who have had faults/bugs open for 12 months or more that still aren't fixed.

Stick with tried and tested vendors for IP turrets

1. IPC
2. BT
3. Etrali OBS
4. Siemens HiPath Trading
5. Wesley Clover / Mitel

"Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary, and you can probably get a career in it.
Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back