Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 5000 SMTP with GMail or Yahoo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehecatl72

Programmer
Nov 3, 2010
US
Does anyone know what the settings should be under e-mail gateway and e-mail synch for mailbox to use GMAIL or Yahoo as SMTP Server?
5000 is v.5.1 and works good internally with our local exchange but not with Gmail or Yahoo.

Any help is appreciated.

Technology is going to kill us all!

Not familiar with the 5000 but on a 3300 there is no SMTP authentication. This is required by Google and Yahoo. As a solution I use an open source program called hMail. I set it up as a forwarder only and then use a free Gmail account that I setup to login and forward the email. This needs to be installed on a pc that is not running a web service or exchange, with a static IP. It is low overhead so even a virtual XP or old XP box with a static IP works nicely.

Use GMX, it allows sending without encryption etc and the accounts are free :)

"No problem monkey socks

Amriddle01:

can you provide some more information on using GMX?

i set up an account
used port 25
smtp server name of mail.gmx.com
entered my username and password

the log from the 5000 just shows connection time out.

I am able to log in to the account from the gmx website so i know the account is there and the password is correct.

Alex,
under smtp server name try putting in smtp.mail.gmx.com.
You may also want to try using port 587.

Technology is going to kill us all!

I am using gmail and have the following:
E-mail SMTP Port: 587
E-mail SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
E-mail System: SMTP
E-mail Username: my gmail address
Gateway Password: my gmail password

I am on MT5000 6.0, but this also worked at 5.1

Very simple question. Does your firewall allow SMTP out from this address. Normal network admins restrict it to the mail servers, then maybe on a per device basis. A simple but effective way of stopping you getting blacklisted.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Port 587 was my fix. THANKS guys. Our vendor dropped the ball. Yall rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back