Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mistakenly deleted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btacy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2007
GB
i was trying to delete one of my test databases and mistakenly deleted the production, or rather clicked delete on the production db. i realized my mistake almost immediately, but could not stop the action, luckily people were logged on and i had not selected the option to close all connections and so it failed.
later, i noticed some disparity in some data and i'm not sure if the problem was caused by my mistake or not.

Does anyone have an idea how the delete works? does it start from tables without user connections on them or does it scan the entire database first before deleting it?

Step 1: Beg your DBA to remove those priveleges from your account.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Step2: visit forum654 for advice on how to spin this on your resume.

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

Step 3: Update resume?

< M!ke >
[small]Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?[/small]

That is what is known, in this business, as an "Onosecond".

That's the moment between when you clicked the mouse, and realized what you did, and said OH NO!!!!

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

You should also never put your test databases on the same server and or instance as your prod db too. The list of things that could go wrong is very long. (and it includes your attempt to drop the prod db by mistake!)

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

you're lucky that you boss didn't order for you to be 'mistakenly deleted' too...

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back