Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Windows Installer Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

abba11

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
CA
I am missing Instmsi.msi; Msiinst.exe; and, Ms1s31.dll.
There are not on my hard drive and I can't find them on my Windows 98SE disc. Can someone please tell me the exact location from which I could download these specific files or could someone email to me?
John

MSI? motherboard? Off a floppy or CD that came with the board.
Or a google search for those file names.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

What specifically do you enter for a file search on Google? What I have tried so far does not get me there. I also tried all the other things that you mentioned with no luck.
John

Hi, abba11,

Those are Microsoft Installer files, required for installing applications.

See this page in MS's download centre:
Windows Installer 1.1 Redistributable for Windows 95 and 98

All the file you need are in the compressed installation file InstMsi.exe, but read the guidance first.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

edfair;
They seem like typical Microft Installer Files (MSI)...which usally any program that has the "OK" or "certification" that it is "windows" compatable, uses as Setup files(InstallShield)...Wininit.exe and Wininit.dll in \Windows have to do with this and they also read the TEMP files created by the setup program to install the app/proggie..

abba11;
You should get 'em off any windows compatable install program AFAIK...unless these are unusual
Alot of info here;

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back