Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing System Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragglemoo

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a 400gb Seagate IDE drive from another pc that was split into 3 partitions. I tried to clear these by using Vista Disk Management and have managed to lose a partition.

I have a 372.61Gb NTFS Active Primary partition and have "lost" the other partition. I reinstalled the disk back in the other pc and when I tried to boot up of an Acronis Rescue CD and an XP CD - I got a "MBR error 1 Press any key to boot from Floppy".

I put the Drive back in the USB shuttle and looked at it on my Vista PC using Disk Management but I am unable to get what I think is the system partition back.

Help!!!

What have you done to lose this partition, have you formatted any of the partitions, perhaps one that had an Extended Partition attached to it?

If it is just a problem with the MBR then perhaps Vista's can sort it out?

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

Vista's Startup Repair.

There is also the FixMbr available in the Recovery Console of XP.

Have a bit of a look at this thread too.

I messed up my Partitions
thread1583-1556488

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back