Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing session variables in IE / Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjk1000

Programmer
Jan 22, 2009
GB
Hi all
I don't quite understand why my session variables are being dropped. Here's the problem:

I submit a form using the submit button and create session variables of the values to allow them to be carried to other pages. All's fine.
If I now move back and forward between the form and form handler using the browser buttons (as some user sometime will probably do) Firefox, Opera and Flock remembers the session variables and can populate the form handler. IE and Safari however don't have access to them. What's happening and what can I do about it?

Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

Hi

Hopefully is just a caching issue. Although by default the the session mechanism alters caching to avoid such problems.

Could you tell us if those settings are still on default ?

Could you give us an URL to a publicly available copy of your site ?

Feherke.

Hi Feherke
I'd rather not post my url on the board yet. Can I send you a link personally and then we'll discuss and post the solution in this thread?
Steve

Plus I've just noticed I have test addresses all over the site. As an update, Firefox [inc Flock] would demonstrate the problem if I hadn't inserted the following in the header file earlier this morning:

<?php
header("Cache-Control: no-cache");
header("Expires: -1");
?>

I've read that the second line should also be the fix for IE but that seems not to be the case. IE8 / Safari still show the problem and Opera doesn't need this at all. I have to admit I'm a little out of my depth on this one at the moment. If this is a reload problem what do I need to add to the header to force IE and Opera to reload?
Thanks, Steve

Sorry, the last sentence should read

"...to force IE and Safari to reload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back