Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Reminder Notes aka The Twilight Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetraRider

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2001
US
My CEO (of course) on Sunday (of course) to report that 99% of his tasks were missing from his calendar. Then 4 hours later, he called to report they were all back.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I checked to see if there was a backup running at the time and there is not.

Any ideas what might have been causing this?

We're using GroupWise 7.02.

He's asking for answers and I have none...

My usual answer is "Eh, windows..."

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Well, it could be a user error involving the Filtered feature. I get caught with that quite a bit.

If he had a filter turned on for his mail, and then went to his tasks, he's not going to see anything because of the filter. It doesn't only apply to email. Later, he may have removed the filter and then magically his tasks were there.

The filter I am referring to is the one at the top right of the Message pane, just above the message list.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

User error?

Check to see what mode he is in, Online, Caching, or Remote. If he inadvertently changed his mode from online to Caching or Remote, it would have taken some time before the tasks showed up.

What was the time frame between not there and there?

What was he doing when he noticed they were gone?

What is in the POA log file for the time frame when the tasks were NOT there?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Yeah I said user error. If he's got filtering enabled, and forgets about it, nothing is going to show up till he turns off the filter. And the filter doesn't jump out very loudly and say "I'm Filtered" so it's easy to miss.

Not technically an 'error', but certainly not a system problem.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

I thought of the filters, except he said his appointments were there. So maybe he had it filtering only things he did not send. But that seems like an obscure query to happen by accident.

His first call was 1;30 pm when he noticed they were missing. His second call was around 4 to say.. Nevermind, everything is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back