Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

thud105g

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
The Recycle Bin in XP does not appear on my desktop and I need to restore a directory and I cannot figure out how to do that without the recycle bin being on the desk top.

To check for any deleted files still residing in the missing Recycle Bin, make sure that Hidden and System Files are set to be shown via Folder Options/ View.

Then you can access the Bin or more probably Bins via the C:\RECYCLER folder, they will be identified similar to S-1-5-21-507921305-839521115-725445543-1006 and have a faded appearance of a recycle bin.

Check the contents of each Bin for your deleted file and if found restore the missing/deleted file.

An easy way to actually restore the Recycle Bin after you have rescued any deleted files would be to use System Restore to revert back to when you had a Recycle Bin.

330170 - Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP

how to remove recycle bin from desktop?
thread779-541058

Download Kelly Theriot's Replace/Repair the Recycle bin Registry File. On the link below you will see multiple lines, look for line 64:

Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin (Line 64)

Double click the file to merge the file with the registry and accept when prompted to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back