Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing RDC from accessories in Vista Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I've been googling this and cannot find a solution. I had to recreate my local profie and now under Start > Programs > Accessories there is no communications and no RDC. I've enabled RDC, but don't want anyone to connect to my PC so I've made the adjustments in remote settings window but where is the shortcut to run it?

If Vista is the same as Win7 (I don't' remember, b/c I just don't recall trying with Vista), all you have to do is find the computer you want to connect to under Network, right-click on it, and select connect via Remote Desktop...

Something like that, I forget the exact wording.

I use RDC to connect to remote servers so they won't be listed in my Network.

What have you got listed in these locations?

C:\Users\usernamexxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

For all the users to see the shortcut it should be listed in the ProgramData path.

You could manually copy the missing shortcuts and paste them. Is there any problem with access permissions to either location, or are you hiding user folders?

Is Communications an actual Windows folder in Vista or is that a (distant) memory from an older operating system? There is nothing to stop you creating such a folder if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back