Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing "Open file location" option in “Recent” files list

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkoopers

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2005
US
If I click on the "Start" button and move the mouse pointer on an application (such as "Word 2016" or "Excel 2016"), a list of recently opened documents opens on the right. If I right-click on one of the documents, the "Context Menu" appears. Some of the documents have an "Open file location" option in the "Context Menu" and some do not. I had “pinned” many of them for quick reference.

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2016 (to fix another problem) and all the Word and Excel recent files on the Start Menu were lost. None of the new ones that get created have the "Open file location" option.

If I create a custom toolbar and add shortcuts to it, all of them have an "Open file location" option in the "Context Menu".

What controls whether or not a “recent” file shortcut has an "Open file location" option in the "Context Menu"?

How can I add the option if it is missing for a particular shortcut?

How can I change the default behavior so all recent menu shortcuts will have an "Open file location" option in the "Context Menu"?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

What do you see at Settings/ Personalization/ Start, "Show recently openrf items in Jump List on Start or taskbar? Is that On or Off?

Yes, "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" is "On". What I was referring to is the "Jump Lists". They are there but the "Open file location" option is missing. If I go to the general "Recent Items" list, the "Open file location" option is in the "Context Menu" for every file shortcut there. I want to know how to add that option to the "Jump List" file shortcuts. I know its possible because some of them used to have it.

Are you trying to open the file or the folder. If the file, simply click on the file name.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Do you see the "Open File Location" as a Button when you right-click on a Shortcut and select Properties?

What do you mean by "Context Menu"?

This sort of question might benefit from a posted image or a link to one to clear up the confusion.

Beilstwh: I want to open the folder that the file is located in.

linney:

The "Context Menu" is Microsoft's term for the menu that you see when you "right-click" on an item.

If I right-click on a normal file shortcut, I see an "Open file location" option in the "right-click" menu.

2016-05-16_19_11_55-_joeylr.jpg

Here is what the "right-click" menu looks like on a "Jump List" file shortcut (the "Open file location" option is missing).

0001_wgpmhu.jpg

It wont open the folder, but if you click on properties it will show you the folder that the file is in.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Beilstwh:

I know that and of course I could right-click on "Properties", copy the file folder path, press [Windows-R], paste the path and press [Enter] to open the folder but that is too many extra steps compared to having an "Open file location" option. There is a reason why the option used to be there and now it is not. Once I can find out that reason, a solution to always having that option can be determined.

For now, I created a custom toolbar and as I open a file, I am adding a shortcut to that file to that toolbar. Every item on the toolbar has the "Open file location" option. This is also extra work but I only need to do that once per file. I would not need to do any of that if the "Jump Lists" were working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back