Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing "Local Area Connection"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leozack

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
GB
It pains me to post this but despite fidning lots of referenes to such things online I can't find anything relevant or solved and most are VPN issues.

In this case the PC is an HP desktop with a built in NIC. The NIC (Intel pro 10/100 ve)shows up in device manager and says it's working ok and I've removed it and rebooted and added it again etc, but no matter what I do, there is no network in the networks window, and if I ipconfig /all I don't have an ip address (it was last week I've forgotten the details but I was hoping to solve this tomorrow, but there is no internet there so I can't look it up) ><

Cheers those were the 3 files I saw mentioned somewhere else. I'll note them down to try tomorrow, but without internet there I can't access the other stuff so I hope it works, I'm not printing it all out ;D

If registering Dll's doesn't help, maybe System Restore would be worth trying?

Check the card is reporting a MAC address and that it isn;t simply 0s. Could be a BIOS issue an flashing this could shake it clear.

Ok so I hit the ground running today. First off the network window gave me an error message "network connections folder unable to list new network adapters on the machine - make sure network connections service is enabled and running". Thinking I had perhaps found an easy answer I checked the services list - but no luck, it was already running. I tried to stop it so I could restart it again, but it thought about it for a while ebfore conclusing it couldn't stop it because it wasn't responding or something. But I set it to automatic rather than manual just incase and rebooted. Sure enough it was running again, allegedly, but I got the same message. Not luck there then.

Next I ran IP config and got told "request not supported". Then I ran ping 127.0.0.1 and got told unable to contact ip driver - error code 2. Interesting but didn't help me.

I then registered the 3 dll's mentioned above ok. The 4th one (atl.dll) failed to register saying dllinstall not present or something.

The off-shot is that even after a reboot, a removal of the device again in device manager, it didn't help at all -_-

I wanted to get rid of tcp/ip and put it back in again but couldn't find a way to do it. nbstat was also unavailable.

yes you can't remove TCP/IP in XP..

how long has this behavior been like this? Since you received the computer? Since some new software install?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I actually have no idea. It must've been working fine the last time I looked at it for any reason, which was probably a couple of months earlier. Since then anything could've happened. The problem is noone would even know it's broke unless they try to print or something because it's a workgroup pc that logs on as it's only user automatically etc etc. So you know how users are they probably didn't take any notice and thought it was a printing problem or something. but now I've investigated this is what I've found. And so far, I'm outta ideas.

I would then run spyware, adware and virus scans on the machine...

AdAware, Spybot, MS Antispyware and some online virus scanner.

CCNA

There is no internet where this pc is, and if there was, without a network connection it can't get online anyway. But I'll take some of that stuff there next time to try it yeah

Use the information in faq779-4625 to rebuild the Winsock service stack. If not using Service Pack 2, you will have to donwload the utility discussed to bring with you.

The second step would be to reinstall TCP/IP:

1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
2. Click Install.
3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
4. Click Have Disk.
5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
7. Restart the computer.

bcastner, I don't think he can see a network connection to right click at all.. that is the problem.

CCNA

Indeed. I'm hoping bcastner means once you rebuild the stack it will appear.

Ok so I forgot to reply to you how it went last week. The result was even with the winsock fix, I had no luck at all, whatsoever. I tried to do something, can't remember what, and it said like it couldn't even find either the nic or the protocol or something and I thuoght ahhh man this will need either a new card or a winxp recovery install.
So today, wishing I'd posted here to ask for advice, I did an upgrade install with xp sp0 as that was what was already on there, and sure enough after I got back into windows, the connection was there and I was able to set it all up etc. So - problem ....... solved? I guess :) Thanks to all suggestions though, the winsock fix tool will probably come in handy sometime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back