Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing over 20% of Dell SSD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobleonard

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
US
I just got a Dell Venue 11 tablet.

The specification is 4 GB DDR3 memory and 128 GB eMMC Solid State Storage.

My C-drive is 101GB. What happen to 27GB? My searching indicates that a small
amount may be used for some OS functions but over 20 % seems extremely excessive.
The truth is: I don’t know.
Thanks for any enlightenment on this subject,
BobL

no mystery, it is in how they determine what a GB to be. My 480GB SSD shows 479,999,287,296 bytes. So they sell this as a 480GB drive, but windows doesn't see byte as the same thing. Debate has been going on along time. Here is a 2005 article on spiceworks that will explain it all to you. Link. But what it boils down to, is a company can use the 1,000 bits to a kilobit, and not 1024 bits to a kilobit, and factor out from there. You will see if they use the 1,000 it seems to be a larger drive, and they can claim that in the selling of the drive.

Thanks for the information. As I understand it: The 128-GB from Dell is actually 119.2-GIB.

Windows is reporting 101-GIB. Still, 18-GIB short. Less than I thought but still missing about 1/5
of what I thought I purchased???

BobL

Look at the partition information on the hard drive. Is there a Dell System partition area taking up space? A recovery partition?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Also the partition may be hidden, so you might need better tools than what windows provides to be able to see it.

Login as a sys admin. From a cmd prompt, type

diskmgmt.msc

It will give you the capacities of all the partitions

Thanks for all the info. FYI the partition information locates the missing GIB. I can't believe I forgot about partitions. In need to quit programming and start reading some of these Forums. BobL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back