Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

techtobe

Technical User
Nov 23, 2003
US
On multiple Win 98 machines a network drive/share that is supposed to connect through a login script does not connect. It will not even show up under My Computer. If I try to map it manually I get the error "Computer name or Sharename could not be found". Yet this server is pingable and I can access it via my machine at my desk (Win XP). I can map other drives from this machine. I am perplexed at this point.. I am not that well versed in 98. Anyone have some ideas??

Can you see the machine the share is on (ie, if you type \\machinename in run box, does it open explorer window/prompt you for password?)

Is the machine\sharename actually that - its not a folder under a sharename (seem to remember 98 doesn't like that).

How long is the sharename - does it have any unusual characters in it?

I might be offbase here but my home network has both FAT32 and NTFS machines.

If you're trying to connect to an XP machine that has a hdd formatted NTFS, 98 won't see that NTFS drive. However, the XP NTFS drive will see FAT32 drives. I regularly move files from an XP machine to Wfw3.11, 95b and 98se.

When my XP install was on a FAT32 partition, everything shared just fine. Let us know if I'm out in left field here.

Skip

SkipCox, it doesn't matter if drive is NTFS or FAT if you access this drive using network share. Perhaps you have some problems with user permissions on NTFS drives.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

This machine is trying to access a share on a 2000 server named \\sf95111a1\giftshop. There have been new developments. I can get it to map to the share if I put the IP address of the server in the net use command. I cannot map the share with server name. BUT the mapping does not last. It disappears quickly (15-20 minutes).And now this issue is related to just one machine. The login script is using the server name.

I'd try removing and reinstalling networking on the problem machine (which I always used to find was best way of repairing networking on 9x machines). Because it sounds like it is at least not resolving local names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back