Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Nameservers

Status
Not open for further replies.

azitman

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
US
I recently have been trying to fix a dns mess I just inherited. There are 2 servers, all of the workstations can resolve server1 by name but can only see server2 by ip & not name. I ran a dns testing utility & it failed the missing nameserver test. The test gave me the message "one or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers ate not listed as NS records at your nameservers." My first question is how to fix this & secondly is this the cause of my workstations not being able to resolve the name of the 2nd server? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cany you post an Ipconfig /all from one of your workstations and 1 from server1.

I can from the server but the desktop does not recognize the command. Also when I use nslookup it can't find the server name for either server and says non existent domain.

Hey Azitman: First are these NT 4.0 servers? Are we in a single domain? Try adding a pointer record to server2. If it's not in dns or if it's in it's own domain, no one will be able to see it. But i'll bet you can map to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back